Sunday, July 13, 2014

First Grade Homework

一年生 in Japan comes with about 30 minutes of homework everyday (pretty much on par with what I was told to expect in first grade in the USA). Everyday C has 2 worksheets, a reading passage, and memorization of math equations.
It was the math equations that were the most difficult to figure out at first. They start by doing addition like this:
4は2と_____  which is backwards from the way we are taught in the USA, so it took me about 2 weeks to figure out it meant 4 = 2 + ____. I had a hard time explaining it to my son as well. And of course the teacher mentioned she was concerned that C wasn't understanding it after the first week. I just had to (with translation help) explain that it was a very different way of learning math from what we were taught in the USA and it will take some time to adjust.
Now, 3 months later, C has no problem with math (not that he ever did, but it just took a bit of time to adjust) and he is now memorizing equations like these:

1  たつ 2は ____ meaning 1 + 2 = _____

and

4 ひく 3は _____ meaning 4 - 3 = ____

I hadn't thought math would be the biggest hurdle we would face at first, but so far we've been able to work on hiragana without too many issues. There are definitely words I have to look up in the dictionary and some that we just can't puzzle out, but honestly they are pretty rare. I thought it would be more difficult for C to learn hiragana, but he seems to be picking it up really fast.

I also just found it really interesting at how math is introduced and taught in Japan. It is a lot of memorization of basic equations as well as a variety of worksheets and story problems. It's actually been really fun to read the story problems and be able to understand what the questions are. I can understand the schoolwork of a Japanese 6 year old - I don't know whether to be proud or slightly offended ;) Gotta start somewhere I suppose.

Along with hiragana practice, math and memorizing equations, C has to practice reading Japanese from a textbook everyday. It's really a cute book and definitely something I want to bring back with us when we go home. He's doing pretty well, better than I expected quite honestly. Plus every week they go to the school library and he brings home 2-3 books which he likes to read to me before bedtime. Overall he's getting a lot of practice in Japanese, so I'm very happy that he is doing so well and enjoying it.

I also make him do English 'homework' everyday. It's pretty easy for me to tack on an extra worksheet as long as he's doing homework anyway. Luckily we get home fairly early - between 4:30 and 6:15 depending on the day of the week. We have time to do homework and even watch some TV usually before bedtime. Some JET's are not so lucky as to be able to get home so early, it just depends on your school and schedule.

We're both looking forward to summer though! Only one more week of school and then it's summer break! We have some fun adventures planned, so it should be a great break. ;) and i finally get to read some books!!

2 comments:

  1. Are you still in Japan teaching with JET? How is schooling going with your child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - no, we moved back in the summer of 2015. Overall it was an amazing experience and I have no regrets at all. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete